Thursday, September 12, 2013

Swap it out!


Spinach Dip
16 oz of Greek Yogurt (instead of sour cream)
Box of Frozen Spinach (thawed)
1 Packet of Ranch
Mix Greek Yogurt, Spinach, and Ranch Packet together.
Serve with Pita Chips 

Let's be honest. Not everyone can completely revamp their eating habits in one day. The thought can be overwhelming and I think it sometimes prevents people from starting that journey to change their lifestyle.  But I have good news for you!  You don't have to start eating clean, cold turkey (unless you want to).  Start by making small changes... eventually those small changes will lead to bigger changes...and that will lead you to a habit that becomes your lifestyle!

For example, instead of using sour cream in a recipe, replace the sour cream with plain Greek yogurt.  Trust me... it tastes great! Try the Spinach Dip Recipe that I've posted above.  I made it recently for my hubby and his friends for their Friday night card game.  They all loved it and had no clue that it was made with Greek yogurt.   I call that a win!  I know that it wasn't completely clean, but I felt much better serving that than a dip made with a whole container of sour cream.

Changing eating habits should be a lifestyle change...NOT a diet!  Make swaps that  you feel comfortable with.  Find things that you like.  And always try new things!  I make a point to try new recipes all the time.  Some are winners.  Some are  not.  But I don't know unless I try!  In fact, this Summer, I tried using spaghetti squash instead of pasta and made pizza crust out of cauliflower rather than using pizza dough.  Both were fantastic (and again hubby approved... which is my way of determining recipe success)!

Here are some examples of other food swaps you can make:

GET RID OF:                   SWAP WITH:      
White Rice                        Brown Rice or Quinoa
Coffe Creamer                  Unsweetend Almond Milk
Mayo                                 Avocado
Sugary Drinks/Soda          Water
Ground Beef                     Ground Turkey
Regular Peanut Butter      Natural Peanut Butter (only ingredient is peanuts)
Chips                               Fresh Cut Veggies, Zucchini Chips (recipe in my blog)
Pasta                                 Spaghetti Squash





No comments:

Post a Comment